Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Weisman and Roston readings

The first reading by Weisman made me very depressed. I had no idea there was floating masses of plastics in the ocean. That is truly disgusting. I am planning to be more vigilant about what I buy and where I dispose of it. While I am not a news fanatic, it is astounding that I have never heard of this before. There is so much wrong with our world out there that it is overwhelming - how does a person know where to start? With this kind of information readily available, is it possible that the administration is unaware or is it simply a matter of critical priorities? It seems unlikely that government would be unaware. This certainly seems to be an extremely critical issue, although if the global warming issue is not addressed immediately, it will simply be too late for most people. The mental vision of all those organisms out there that have ingested bits, or in some cases large chunks, of plastic is repulsive. It certainly makes the science fiction notion of mutants more plausible.

The Roston writing, while sobering, at least offers a bit of hope. As with any research, it is through the doing that researchers expand their knowledge and understanding. While I am a believer in technology, technology alone will not save us. And it really is not fair to be environmentally lazy with our lives and expect the science community to "fix" things for us. I'm going to go to bed an pull the covers over my head for a while while my brain is reeling...

No comments:

Post a Comment