Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Response: The City of Albuquerque Climate Task Force: Transportation & Me. Myself and Infrastructure

Transportation

First off this is really depressing to read this knowing that we no longer have Mayor Chavez but a REPUBLICAN mayor, scary!  

It sounded so great till all this "by 2030 stuff."  It seems so very far away, I want to see change now!  I am very surprised at the initiative albuquerque is taking. I would love to see these changes take place. If more people rode their bikes I would feel much safer out on the rode.  I think the down-sizing of parking spaces is crucial for this to work.  Although I totally disagree with the free parking for those with electric vehicles, if you can afford that car you can afford parking.  The lower class family that can't afford an electric vehicle probably cannot afford parking.  Its disgusting that those with money can in turn receive privileges.

"Me, Myself and Infrastructure"

I must say I love my computer and most certainly need it, it disgust me that children in third world countries don't have nowhere near as clean water as my computer had at one point.  This was such a great article, I knew that computers obviously created lots of waste, but when the numbers are thrown in your face it is just mind blowing.  As a consumer I feel sad at the lack of control we have over companies and the government to effect change.  

All I can say is i hope this Berry guy/mayor is not a typical republican.  Sad, very sad Albuquerque....

-Victoria  

1 comment:

  1. Victoria,

    You make excellent points about the embodied water issue. We have such limited input into the system which creates objects, and yet as collective idea makers, we have huge input. Twitter users changed Trafigura's business model. Don't lose hope!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete