Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Water and EcoArt

Water; Water; the Joy of Water!
Being raised in desert water has always been a type of gold to me, and at many times in my life of more value than gold. The reading Life-sustaining Cycles brings highlights to the cycle of water, becoming award of this cycle is crucial to the understanding of the earth and its cycles that sustain us. The quote of Tao Te Ching; “The highest good is like water.” How very true this is to me; it cleanses not only the external of my body but the internal as well, it is one of our greatest gifts that are provided to us. The gathering and returning of the “Poem for Yermanja” was a beautiful piece to me. The joining of waters from other lands: WOW! Enough said, to say more it would take a book to explore all of my thoughts about this piece.
May times as humans we do not recognize the “value” of places till they are gone. Nor do we look at what damage we may create by replacing nature with man-made items. Art should be fleeting in many areas allowing the earth to reclaim the item. This is not to say that man made Art had no permanent place in nature rather the permanence should be carried in the heart. Does art make a difference in the world? As an artist; please let it be so. I must believe that art can and does make a difference in the world. Sometimes it is just one person at a time.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that the readings have both opened my eyes to a new way of looking at the world and confirmed existing inklings of an overall interconnectedness amongst all elements of life. Regarding the Irland piece, the concept of Poem and its evolution was beautiful, meaningful and completely conceptual. Creating work that has a mostly conceptual meaning is something that I struggle with as an artist. Letting go of my fine-arty “oil and paint” background and expectations is something I strive to do. The idea of water being scarce and revered is new to me. Growing up in a place with one of the highest annual rainfall amounts, combined with being generally under-informed most of my life makes it easy to never realize water as a commodity. However, after living in New Mexico for 3 years I have become aware of the importance of water and the repercussions of my actions. On the most basic level, I am beginning to notice. Water, food, land, just life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,

    Your response is like a call for action and a prayer of sorts. I enjoy the sense of reverence and how it relates to Basia's work.

    Savannah,
    The world of making is a long experiment in what is, and what is right in front of us. Once we start noticing, the experiment becomes more like our lives and less like a conscious effort. I like your contrast in places. How do you think her place-ness affects Basia?

    ReplyDelete