Thursday, September 17, 2009

Response

I have read the Delicacy and Strength of Lace and Ceremony I found them both very interesting. What you don't get from this short passage is how much the land plays a role in her works. It takes on its own character and without it you wouldn't have a story. There's so much I could talk about in terms of her work. Like Ceremony is very site specific, you can't take that story and put in any other setting and make a successful is it. So in that respect its a lot like site specific visual art.

My interest in the other reading just how much ecoart is out there and the difference between ecoart, land art and so on. I'm amazed that one object or idea can create such a positive affect. Even if its one person saying holy crap I didn't know that we produce so much waste and they try to change the work has done its job. Once again there's so much to talk about its all amazing to me.

3 comments:

  1. Wakeah,

    Yes, I had thought about including passages from Ceremony. Thanks for the impetus. Perhaps we will next time. The last chapter, with the torture happening in the tortured mined landscape is incredibly evocative. And then there is the search for the south tending cattle and his sense of engagement with the landscape and the "yellow lady."

    The eco art readings are meant to help put our own work in context. I'm glad they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wakeah
    Have you ever read 'Wisdom Sits in Places"??
    It is about place names of the Western Apache. It reminds me of what you were talking about. The land's rold in the stories of the people.
    I think you might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wakeah,

    I haven't read it. I will check it out.

    Thank you,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete