Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Response to the Readings for Sept. 11 class

I was particularly interested in the Climate Action Plan Task Force Report for Albuquerque. This is a thoughtful and comprehensive plan for steps that Albuquerque can take to reduce greenhouse emissions, reduce solid waste and encourage sustainable food production. I think the plan is very forward thinking and will face challenges in implementation. Japan uses a full recycling program and inflicts stiff penalties for those who do not comply. It would be good to educate the full population on the long-term benefits of these programs along with the projected consequences of doing nothing. It should be included in the educational curriculum at the elementary level.

The thought that food production could be a part of city landscaping had not occurred to me before the readings of this week (and last week). I absolutely 100% agree with the statement in "Resetting America's Table" where it said, "School food is a measure of how we value our kids." I packed lunches for my children when they were in school. I just could not bring myself to send lunch money when I saw what they were serving the children.

Growing up in the midwest, it was not uncommon for people in my hometown to put hand-drawn signs saying "help yourself" in front of fruit trees in their front yard. People would bring baskets of produce to church to exchange or simply leave for anyone who wanted or needed it. When I moved to to the Albuquerque area, I would not have even considered taking excess fruit from a stranger's front yard, even if it was going to waste. I do have a network of friends that share any excess from our gardens, however, most folks that I know have little time for the preserving of garden/fruit tree excess. I have a small garden and add just a little to it each year.

As an east mountain resident, I would love to see some of the projects for mass transit included in my area. If there were a reasonably priced, efficient method of mass transit, I would use it. At the moment, there is a bus that comes out to within about 3 miles of my home. It would add, however, about 2 hours to my commute per day which makes it unreasonable to utilize. At this point, it is also cheaper for me to drive. I hope that changes.

2 comments:

  1. Programs like Albuquerque's urban agriculture initiatives might provide structure for "turning the tables on speed" as Carl Honore so seductively suggests, because it's not just in the eating of a meal slowly and sensually that "slow food" again becomes a way of life, but in all the ways our food makes it to the table. Ironic, of course, that artisanal cheeses jet across the planet, but maybe in time we could learn to make our own, again.... Honore is almost as pleasant to read as Pollan; now Brillat-Savarin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urban agriculture is just so totally baller. I mean, one thing I am a particular advocate for is the initiative to revert from 40-year retirement plans to one fourth of a year seasonal operation. This extends to the food we eat, when and where we eat it, why we eat it, how we celebrate and also an awareness of survival versus commodity fetishism in our food. Everything is objectified a Professor just told me yesterday. WTF! Slow food fits fairly well into these lifestyle choices as it is part of the Albuquerque initiatives for change. I think I've been to some meetings in Santa Fe about it, eaten it in a restaurant there actually. Yum...I am probably an extremist though and so can't totally comprhend somthing unless I apply it consistently. I just heard on the radio about male fish laying eggs (again WTF!)as an example of chemical leeching being simply incredibly thorough. Perhaps all these initiatives for a healthy and happy and participatory lifestyle will benefit people most of all really in a quantum physics kind f way....you know, sitting there, actually watching your food grow, praying it doesn't mutate your ovaries or something hideous. Okay, sorry, I didn't mean to be drastic, it is a big deal though. Also, I am I thought the farm was rad, man. Women.

    ReplyDelete