Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reading Irland

Yes. I suppose I am Irked at Irland. She expresses such wide ranging wise sentiments concerning the hydrologic cycle. She draws from many cultures and is clearly passionate about her work. But couldn't the arrangement of text and image be a little more sophisticated? It doesn't seem as delicate or intricate at all. I find the blocks of text and image scattered poorly reproduced and not cohesive. I want more. Or I want less with more skillful editing. Concinnity maybe? Her subject is like streams of molten glass woven with concepts and cultures into a remarkable mesh. However, concinnity - the act of skillful putting together is needed. Cannot her captioning, words, images be of the same thread as her subject matter? I love the image on the first page and yet graphically I am underwhelmed.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, certainly the book has the sensation of a text, rather than an object itself. It is fascinating how our experience of interface, design, transparency of purpose can change reception of the message(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. i guess i am jaded and critical. I like her work so much. and perhaps as designers we are jaded into production after production of small medium large product (Rem Koolhaus' "Small medium large")
    and what we create after all that educated interface transparency of purpose and objectification education for manipulation is really just a supersize me for design of the day.

    ReplyDelete