Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Response to Yardworking

Patrick Dougherty

Yardworking


I liked his analogy of a seamstress turned sculptor to him a woodsman turned sculptor.  I think its interesting to be able to see what else besides art interests an artist, through their art. 

I find it interesting that he thinks of his work as wild in concept in the wild, although it on another level cannot be wild, since he transforms it.  I love when he calls his work at La Gabelle a "primitive sapling temple," I didn't at first think of his work as primitive but I can see the comparison.

What an ingenious idea to work with found sticks on a large scale.  

I would love to experience one of Dougherty's sculptures.  I liked when they talked about drawing with sticks because of their shape.  I can defiantly see drawing aspect although he is obviously working in 3-D.

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment