Thursday, December 3, 2009

slow

Have to say, reading about the speeding struck a chord in me, not harmoniously, as I had just received a speeding ticket....in the mail. That's a reminder of city life when you don't even have a human being writing you tickets any longer. I can't sweet talk an envelope. I decided that I would aim to drive like the Dalai Lama is in the passenger seat. I'm sure he likes music really loud.
When I went to Portland the first time, I fell in love with the transit system.What an odd thing to fall in love with, but larger lanes for bicycles than cars!?!?!? Bike racks everywhere, riding on the max, and even renting a car for the day was only $26. It takes a lot of stress off of people, when they don't have to worry about their car being broken into or broken down, the raising insurance prices as a result to drunk driving, ridiculous accidents and gas stores on every corner. I wonder how much stress cars alone causes the average Albuquerqian.
I also enjoyed, in Portland, that at the amazing farmer's market, the coffee was all brewed drip while you wait and in coffee shops it was all french pressed. There is something to slowness.
I wonder what finals are like in CittaSlow.

1 comment:

  1. Jeness,

    I'm sorry about the speeding ticket. We got one of those and the car is registered in my name, but it wasn't me driving. Of course, I didn't have far to look for the man who made it through the light, only to get caught by a machine averaging his speed. Its an odd aspect of those cameras, but I like the image of driving with the Dalai Lama. I imagine he might like some detours...

    The thing about slowness, I think, is that it isn't so slow... Its just delicious.

    ReplyDelete