Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Citta Slow - a response



The movement is limited to towns with less that 50,000 inhabitants. Too bad for that - Albuquerque does not meet the requirement. But the concept of Citta Slow can be applied to life within an urban setting. A Citta Slow within a city.


“...a slow city is more than just a fast city slowed down...A Slow City asks the question: Does this improve our quality of life? If the answer is yes, then the city embraces it." We do not have to wait for someone to tell us to do this. While I am already adhering to some of the principles, I can see where there is room to expand my way of thinking about all aspects of life. Living in a rural environment, I treasure the days where I don't have to go into the city. We make an effort to support our local businesses since the true cost is not really the stickers on the products for sale.


I had not really thought about this phrase: “In the modern world, speeding up is the most common form of civil disobedience.” The thought of being a lawbreaker is not pleasant, yet I just recently received a speeding-photo ticket, realizing that I don't remember speeding through that intersection. Yet the photo is undeniable proof of the infraction.

1 comment:

  1. Lois,

    Funny how the photo speeding ticket is a relatively common phenomenon, at least judging by this blog. Three of us have had it. I hope we can all live some of the slow city. I am seeking to shut off the internet at our house. We spend so many hours away from our kids that to have an electronic distraction is absurd. We'll see how my campaign goes.

    ReplyDelete