Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Serpentine California

The ability to convey a message to a viewer and instigate change is a true gift and requires an amazing amount of tact, verbal acuity and instinct to be effective. It is easy to be heavy-handed, resulting in alienation rather than the intended involvement and action. Serpentine California appeals on many levels, not the least being that this is in the form of a graphic novel. In the publishing industry, one section that is actually growing is the graphic novel genre. This reaches primarily high school and college aged people - what a great venue this could be for Kinne! I like the concepts that come through this work. The idea of associations such as the rain on redwood shingles smelling of the forest floor, the lichen on the redwood fences rather than on tree trunks...these are very evocative images that convey a kind of melancholic reminiscence. I agree with Catherine in that this needs some further development, but the potential is magnificent.

2 comments:

  1. (FYI, that was Laurie Lange's comment on the technique of the comics, which I posted for her.)

    Lois, I put this work on the reading list because I think it does exemplify an alternative methodology of expression. Graphic novels, and their multilevel appeals, I think do a good job of expressing those non-quantifiable aspects of "research" or thought. This does become a tactile/sensate exploration and thus, perhaps, helpful in our mapping project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, sorry!! I agree with Laurie! I also agree with you. In my art classes at UNM, there are scores of students that are working on graphic novels of their own in addition to reading them. It is an interesting blend of the comic/novel genres. Thanks for the "correction".

    ReplyDelete