Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Plastic Periodic and Wrong

PLa>823,456
As a result of the Weisman reading I started furiously composing my own Periodic Table of the Elements placing Plastic next to Uranium or Plutonium with a 400 billion year half life. Then I found that no one really knows when plastic decomposes. And the Periodic Table was too complex and not pretty enough. So. I gave up.


Two good things

Some fungal rhizii(sp?) are being propogated as consumers of plastic. I supppose this is hopeful but then what do the fungus become?



2 comments:

  1. China, despite its terrible reputation for being a wholesale polluter, is taking some proactive steps. I suppose that the economics of the cost of oil plays a role, but it is still good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Francisco has banned plastic bags... Is Albuquerque next?

    I think the Periodic Table is quite beautiful, but that is perhaps because it haunted my highschool years, until I just memorized the whole thing. I don't have it still memorized, sadly.

    More on fungi and plastics/radiation and other trash: http://www.bioedonline.org/news/news.cfm?art=2575
    http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070521/full/news070521-5.html

    ReplyDelete